Saturday, April 13, 2019

Dear Three, It's Me

     This morning your Dad leans over and says, "Honey, we're empty-nesters!".  Don't remind me. 

      Today marks a turning point in your parents life as a day of freedom for all of us ... I guess.  Freedom from what?  From having to wake you up every morning, or remind you of one more eye-rolling rule you need to follow, or ask if you've done what we've asked you just a few minutes after asking, or informed you that your belly is showing or the dog needs walking, or or or ...?  Maybe you're the one who is more free now.  I'm just wandering around the house today wondering who I can control or annoy or tease now - accept for your Dad and the dog.   But after 25 years Dad has learned how to ignore me.  Ha!

      Twenty years ago Dad and I wanted our children to be 2 years or less apart so that we can "raise 'em and get 'em out" - not sure that I would have said that now that I'm here on the other side.  Though I'm thrilled to journey with your Dad only - and his dog - for the rest of my life, I think I will miss the nurturing side of raising you for sure.    I will miss taking care when you're sick, or offering a shoulder to cry on, or a hug when you need it, or listening to you ramble on about a cute boy or a new play coming out, or drying your tears when a friend doesn't treat you right.  Yes, I will miss being a hands-on Mom, because that's what moms do.

      One of you has already found the pleasure in calling me often and using technology to connect.  For that I am grateful!  You have flown and experienced, failed and got back up, and found success.  You have given me a Son-n-Law and made me a Grammie - and oh what joy!  To my other two - your wings are still fresh for adventure and freedom - and that's exciting!  I was your age once and I know what that feels like.  So FLY, BOTH OF YOU, FLY! 

But then call ... Because I'm still Mom.

      I'm proud of all of you and your Mama is excited to witness the transformation in you that will take place over the years.   Remember ....

Seek Him for everything,
                      Stand strong in your faith,
                                    Generous in your Love,
                                                        Joyful in your Hope!

I love you to the Fridge and Back -

                                              Mom

P.S.  Keep in touch and I'll Keep Keto -ing my way to the fridge and back ... haha! 
           No. Seriously though.

No comments:

Post a Comment